Episode 3: Arcades, Shades and Girls
In our third episode, we discuss girls around us, Terminator style shades, an arcade made out of cardboard and a cool way to buy gadgets before they’ve even hit the shops.
This month’s stories:
- Now I Know
- Down For Everyone Or Just Me
- What Does The Internet Think
- Twitter Releases Visualisation Of Tweets During Japan Earthquake
- Watch the short film on Vimeo
- Original Reddit thread to arrange the flashmob
- Followup Reddit thread about the film, college fund etc
- Caine’s Arcade Foundation & Website
- Caine’s Arcade Theme Song
- What Caine’s Arcade teaches us about modern parenting
- Parenting lessons from Caine’s Arcade
- What I learned from Caine’s Arcade
Subreddit of the month:
- TIL that more people drown in the desert than die of thirst
- TIL that in 2010 a Microsoft exec wrote a version of Halo for the Atari 2600, and there’s a Flash version you can play online
- TIL we have 60 minute hours because the Babylonians used a base-60 system of math.
- TIL if you select comic sans for instant messages in Skype, the emoticon smiley face turns into a sad face.
- TIL scientists can tell exactly what decision you will make up to six seconds before you make it.
- TIL that you are legally entitled to $500 every time a telemarketer calls you after you have asked them to stop
- TIL in June 2008, a tornado hit Kansas State University’s campus destroying only one building: their Wind Erosion Lab
- TIL that Olivia Hussey, the actor who played Juliet in the 1968 film Romeo and Juliet, wasn’t legally able to attend the 18+ premiere due to its nudity, even though it was her breasts that were shown.
- TIL that as of April 2010, Bill Gates had donated over $36,854,000,000 in his lifetime, which is more than half of his current net worth of $61 billion.
- TIL that a Labrador Retriever service dog pulled his disabled owner into the recovery position after he was struck unconscious, then covered him with a blanket. Retrieved his mobile phone and pushed it against his face, and only left his owner to fetch help once he had regained consciousness.
- Barclays PingIt (Episode 1) is now available for any UK Bank. Not quite as good as if you bank with Barclays, which takes/deposits money from your main account. When PingIt is used with other banks, Barclays effectively give you a Barclays bank account which you can top-up or withdraw from by bank transfer. Other banks are powerless to stop people using PingIt with their non-Barclays account.
- Now everyone can use Barclays’ Pingit service to send and receive money on mobiles
- Banks scrambling to follow Barclays with pay-by-mobile service
- PS Vita (Episode 1). Price dropped after just 40 days. Last week 8,200 Vitas sold in Japan compared to 13,000 PSPs. Nintendo 3DS now sold below cost.
We would love to hear from you.
Email comments or audio to : feedback @ weredditpodcast.com, or leave a comment below.