Episode 9: Millionaires, Pirates and the Godless
In Episode 9 we discuss what it’s like to be a multimillionaire, pirates moving to the cloud, putting your foot in it and ask whatever happened to religion?
To listen now, just hit Play:
This month’s stories:
- Source article on Torrent Freak
- Tor and Freenet – the so-called “dark web”
- Pirate Bay founder remains locked up without charge
- Quote from John Gilmore in Time Magazine (“The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it.”)
- Google’s Copyright Crackdown Punishes Author For Torrenting His Own Book
- “…Study found that 52.1% of people asked whether they believed in God identified themselves as atheists; survey was unable to find a single person under the age of 28 in eastern Germany who believed in God”
- More people believe in No Religion than Christianity
- The Soviet Union’s objective to eliminate religion
- Church Tax
- comment in Reddit thread about nationalization of churches
- Spoof article: Belief in Lance Armstrong to qualify for religious status (from newsthump.com, not The Onion as we wrongly stated on the podcast)
Subreddit of the month:
- LPT: Can’t make a decision? Flip a coin. When it is in the air you will know which outcome you want more.
- LPT: Instead of crossing items off your grocery list while at the store, write the price next to it.
- LPT: Put a small amount of water in a glass when you microwave your pizza to keep the crust from getting chewy
- LPT: If you have a keyboard shortcut option on your phone, make one that fills in your email when you type ‘@@’
- Episode 3 – where we discussed Google Glass
- Episode 6 – where we talked about Steve Mann, the father of wearable computing
- Neil Harbisson – cyborg activist with unique chromatic senses
- Kevin Warwick – cyborg researcher who has implanted a chip in his arm
- Ten superpowers the Internet gave us
- I have a magnet implant in my finger
- The Internet and the Brain
- How Google gets location data
- British computer hacker Gary McKinnon will not be extradited to the US
- Apple Maps accidentally reveals secret military base
The next episode will be out 1st December 2012.
We would love to hear from you. E-mail comments or audio to : feedback @ weredditpodcast.com, or leave a comment below.